Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bookmarks for March 2012


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom.  Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading.  Our suggested reading for March was Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.

These are the books I read this month:
That's My Son by Rick Johnson--Raising two boys myself, I was naturally interested in this book.  I was hoping to gain some new insight in how motherhood affects boys and possibly some fresh ideas for how to do it better.  Unfortunately, this book lacked focus for me.  At times I wondered if the subtitle wouldn't have bee more aptly changed from How Moms Can Influence Boys to How Dads Can Influence Boys.  Furthermore, much of the content was very close to Dobson's Bringing Up Boys.  And without a doubt Dobson addresses the issues far better than Johnson.  Wasn't the worst book I've read, but I'd say skip it and pick up Bringing up Boys instead.

You're Already Amazing by Holly Gerth--You can find my  review here.

Stand by Me by Neta Jackson--You can find my review here.
101 Things You Should Do Before Your Kids Leave Home by David Bordon and Tom Winters--I loved this book.  It was easy to read in small chunks and just had a lot of great ideas.  Some of these things we done before and some we haven't, so it was a fun resource to read through.  I'd love to revisit this one again and again as my kids grow.

The Money Saving Mom's Budget by Crystal Paine--see my review here

Our monthly reading for March was Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp.

This is a book that I've read over and over.  And it continues to remind me of my mission as a mom.  This time it just brought a fresh outlook to my relationship with my son.  He's moving out of the age where he just does what Mommy tells him.  And while there are still situations where that's needed, he's growing into his own person.  My discipline and the way I relate to him needs to evolve as well.  It's brought a softer side to our relationship and I'm so glad for the reminder.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on.  Or link up a review from your own blog.  Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad.  And give us your thoughts if you've had a chance to read Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart.

And come back Friday April 27 as we discuss Kisses for Katie and others that you're reading.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails