Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Back to (Home)School Shopping at Dollar Tree

 photo IMG_0438_zps3bba60e1.jpg 

I love the Dollar Tree.  And the Dollar Tree unfortunately loves me too.  Anyone else have that problem?  You walk into a Dollar Tree at least once a week and come out wondering how you found "SO MANY GOOD DEALS."  Come out, Dollar Tree addicts.  I know I'm not the only one.

So while you're out and about doing your Back to School shopping, don't forget our favorite discount haven.  These are just a few of the "school" items we've picked up over the years:

Binder clips--I didn't think I'd ever need these, but after our first full year of homeschooling, I realized they are wonderful.  I've used them for keeping units together, collecting samples, and organizing projects.

Stickers, tattoos, fun pencils, bookmarks, etc--This is how I stock my reward box.  And my kids love it.

Thin highlighters--Thin highlighters are great for writing letters and having your kindergartener trace.

Sharpies--With kids, I couldn't live without sharpies.  They are great for labeling everything: beach towels, backpacks, hats, lunch boxes, sports gear, etc.

Workbooks--Our Dollar Tree stocks a huge variety of workbooks for preschoolers and kindergarteners.  It's been very frugal to teach my littles there letters and numbers, among other early concepts.

Chapter readers--In the past year, we've found numerous chapter books for young readers, including Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Moby Dick, and more.  The vocabulary is easier without the content being watered down.

White boards--My kids each have a personal size white board for doing work at the table.  They are compact and portable, and just a lot of fun to use.

White board strips--Again, kids, love using white boards.  And these thinner sentence strip boards are a lot of fun for practicing, including spelling words and math problems.

Sentence strips--I love sentence strips for posting bits around the house.  We've used them for posting the alphabet, the numbers up to 20, and labeling items for practice printing.

Chalk--Chalk is just fun and we use it a lot in games and spelling quizzes.  My sons favorite way to use it is in spelling practice.

Glue sticks--If you've got preschoolers or elementary schoolers, you know you can always use a glue stick.  Collages, cutting practice, and projects,... we're always searching for a glue stick in our house.

Scissors--I love having extra pairs of scissors for those projects that come up instead of us all fighting over the same pair of kitchen scissors.

Flashcards--Dollar Tree carries some great flashcards for addition, subtraction, beginning reading, shapes, colors, and more.

Bulletin board decor--I've picked up large shapes and objects for making my own matching games, number recognition games, and sight word cards.

Organization boxes--These's always a huge variety of buckets, bins, and boxes for organizing your supplies.  I keep several in the house: one for markers crayons etc, one for other school supplies, one for a reward box, etc.

I'm so excited about a new school year starting soon.  And saving money while we get ready, makes it all the sweeter!


What are your favorite items to pick up at the Dollar Tree?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails