Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Child of Mine {Review}


Kelly is a mother.  Well, she was at one time, before her ex-husband sold her daughter for drug money.  And with his accidental death, she has no leads for finding her Emily.  So she resorts to traveling the States on her weekends, DNA testing unsuspecting adoptees.

Jack is a single father, left to struggle through parenthood after his brother and sister-in-law die in a tragic accident.  His adopted niece, Natalie, loves her "Dad", but struggles with her desire for a mom. She even goes so far as to try and set him up with her Amish nanny, Laura.

Eventually in Kelly's investigations, she comes across Jack and Natalie's special situation and decides to find out if this could possibly be her lost daughter.  But will she tell the truth this time?  Or continue using deceptive methods?  And what of her relationship with Jack?  And his relationship with Laura?  And what if adoptive and birth parent issues aren't nearly as cut and dry as they seem?

This newest novel by David and Beverly Lewis takes so many twists and turns.  There were several moments in the book where I thought I had it figured out, only to have the authors throw everything I knew upside down.  I love the way their two writing voices played off each other as well.  The character's voices were distinct, yet there was no disruption in the change of writing.  The story flowed nicely.

While I've been a long time fan of Beverly Lewis, this is the first time I've read anything by David Lewis.  And he certainly held his own in this work.  While Beverly Lewis typically writes Amish fiction, this book is NOT Amish fiction.  The only Amish character in the book is Laura, who does play a prominent part, but is not the entire focus of the book.

My only complaint was San's character.  Jack's grouchy sister, San, has no problem sharing her discontent with absolutely everything Jack does.  While she is a believable character, she is highly annoying and I could have done with less of her in the book.

All in all, I enjoyed it.  This one gets four stars in my book.  Kept me guessing till the last page.  Hope you enjoy!

*Disclaimer: I received a few copy of this book for review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails