Thursday, July 30, 2015

Be The Best Mom You Can Be {Review}


So I read a lot of parenting books.  A lot.  I want to constantly be learning and growing as a mom.  And if there's one thing that's constant in parenthood, it's change.  Kids are growing into new stages and life is always evolving.  So I can use all the help I can get from parents who have gone before us.

When this one came up for review, I was naturally interested.  Sure I want to be the best mom I can be.  That's absolutely my goal.  Why would I do this parenting this half way?  Sign me up.

In this book Slayton talks about her own parenting journey and the struggles she saw displayed in her kid's friend's lives.  From those experiences, she draws her chapter topics:

1. Love is the Foundation
2. Building Belonging
3. Importance of Vision
4. Breaking Generational Curses
5. Moms are not Perfect
6. Start with Eternity in Mind
7. Answering Tough Questions
8. Encouragement
9. Communication, Collective Wisdom, and Community
10. Time is Our Friend
11. Hope is Available
12. Working Moms
13. Spirit-Led Ministry

There were definitely some good points to this book.  Chapter Six about Starting with Eternity in Mind is a great reminder for knowing that we're building thriving adults and not just striving for worldly success.  And chapter eight about encouraging your child was a great reminder to balance correction so our children don't loose heart.

However, overall, this book was quite simplistic.  Chapter One focuses on the fact that we should love our children.  I don't know many parents that struggle with this concept.  Liking them is sometimes a challenge, but love runs deep.  Chapter Five talks about the imperfections of motherhood.  Again, I don't know a mother that isn't daily confronted with her own inability to complete everything on her plate.  And I found that Slayton almost talked in circles, touching on the same points over and over again without providing any real, clear strategies.

This book just wasn't for me.  If you're looking for a fantastic book about motherhood, I would suggest the following:


What's the most important piece of parenting advice you've ever been given?

*Disclaimer: I was given this book for free from the publisher for review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails